Stripy Stars Surface Pattern Design
Stripy Stars Pattern
Origins Of Stripy Stars Pattern
Stripy Stars pattern is a development of my design called Stars. The design alternates rows and columns by making the blending mode of alternate elements Overlay. This gives the stripy effect. I have shown horizontal or vertical versions of the colours chosen.
From Splash to Stripy Stars…
- Design A – Splash – had gigantic shapes, far too large to use.
- Design B – Splash – is the simplest version with all the shapes white with a 50% opacity shadow. All the colouring is achieved by altering the colour of the background
- Design C – Splash – explores altering the colour of the splash element, using a solid white drop shadow.
- Design D – Stars – takes the splash shape apart. The flaps that would have been glued to the pyramid’s sides are all white. The central pentagon is darkened to 35% white and the sides of the pyramid sides are a lighter 50% white. Again all the colouring is achieved by altering the colour of the background.
- Design E – Stars – simplifies the design, making the elements look more as if they have been folded back, by darkening the flaps – giving a more 3D effect.
- Design F – Stripy Stars – The stripes are vertical.
- Design G – Stripy Stars – The stripes are horizontal
There are now 48 colours in my swatch library. For designs D and E all the colour comes from the background. Varying the opacity percentage of the star shape and the flaps has created the variations shown here.
Placing The Pattern In A Location
I would usually place the designs into a setting that makes it appear to be wallpaper. For this design I felt the surface pattern design would work in a larger, commercial location or for fabrics, wrapping papers, gift wrap etc.
Creating This Page
With so many colour combinations it would be impractical to show all of them. Here I have chosen a selection of combinations that I feel are interesting. Smaller screen sizes are designed to display less colour examples.
The pattern would work for wallpaper but it would also be fun for gift-wrapping and fabric too. I would love this design to have another life taken up by a manufacturer. Please contact me if you would like a high resolution file or to talk about how we could work together.