Twist Surface Pattern Design
Twist Pattern Design
Origins Of Twist Pattern Design
Twist is based on curving ribbons of varying widths. Specifically created to produce a more feminine pattern design.
Twist Pattern Development
- First sketch of Ribbons in Illustrator – now renamed Twist.
- A – first pattern repeat. The squares are too dominant and there are odd gaps.
- B – ribbon colours at 100% – too strong. Obvious pattern repeat.
- C – ribbons set to 80% look better, but perhaps too busy.
- D – ribbons changed to varying thickness, but odd blue curving element.
- E – more balanced but the background looks too busy still.
- E+ – getting better, but still need to hide some elements.
- F – hide unwanted ribbons which looks better but having blue ribbons throughout is restrictive.
- G – final design. The darker ribbon is set to mid grey with the transparency set to Overlay, which converts it to a darker shade of the chosen background colour. The lighter ribbon is set to Screen, which converts it to a lighter shade of the chosen background colour.
All of the designs shown here are chosen from Twist designs F and G. Following the code is a swatch reference number from 0 to 41, where 0 = white and 41 is bright cyan.
Creating This Page
With so many colour combinations it would be impractical to show all of them. Here I have chosen a selection of combinations that I feel are interesting. Smaller screen sizes are designed to display less colour examples.
The pattern would work for wallpaper but it would also be fun for gift-wrapping and fabric too. I would love this design to have another life taken up by a manufacturer. Please contact me if you would like a high resolution file or to talk about how we could work together.