half height below
Ouch! Pattern Design
Ouch! In The Diamonds Collection
Once I have a rough sketch of an idea, I work up the ideas in Adobe Illustrator. As the design progresses I duplicate the current version, then make changes to the duplicate. This way there are a series of ideas that can be re-visited later.
This pattern has been quite fruitful, generating five successful designs…
- Festival where the elements of the diamond shape have a distinct 1950s vibe.
- Ouch! looked like the spines of a cactus spines.
- Isometric looked like schematic drawings of a building hence its name.
- Diamonds is that I had first envisaged when I called the series Diamonds.
- Duplex staggers the diamond shape filling the space more.
I decided to reduce the number of colours to simplify the number of combinations. The shadow is a darker version of the background. So effectively the design is just two colours.