Finding The Scissors
The scissors design came after my Water Pistols design, so I was on the lookout for more props for children. I found these safety scissors in Wilko. Small, chunky and bright, see-through red.
Shooting The Scissors
The scissors had to look bright and see-through. Backlighting from beneath didn’t look right. So the scissors were shot with side lighting and fill-in reflector on the opposite side. My original idea was to have a design that showed the scissors in stages of opening and closing as above. So I shot all the combinations needed. Back on the computer I used a clipping path to cut out each of the seven stages from fully open to closed shown above.
Converting To Illustrator Files
I used Illustrator’s Auto Trace to convert the seven photographs into just six colours each. I then converted the six colours to different opacities of the same hue. It was then possible to use the same image using different colours beneath to colour the scissors.
Simplifying The Design
I spent at least a day trying different combinations of the scissors opening, but none of them looked as exciting as simply open and closed. Inverting the closed scissors helped with the pattern. The angle of the open scissors was used as a guide so that the crosses of the open scissors looked rather like buttoned fabric.
There are now 36 colours in my swatch library. I worked through each of the colours for the scissors combined with each of the backgrounds, totalling 1296 combinations. The scissors have a blue spot covering the hinge, so I also altered this too where it added more interest.